Sunday, January 16, 2011

Find the Ocean


As I stand before an ocean, there is a great deal of change inside my body and mind. It is both the expansiveness and the sound of the ocean that plays a large role in the overwhelming feeling I receive. No amount of specially selected words could accurately define the feeling. One of my favorite activities is Jet Skiing simply because it allows me the ability to sit on and ride the ocean. Maybe it is the idea that the ocean must be respected because it is just as dangerous as it is beautiful. Exempting the danger, I love to come back to the ocean, even when I am at home.

It is very easily to become overwhelmed with what has to be done. There are so many things that must be maintained. There are many tasks that must be completed as well. I find it hard to find the time for learning and gaining knowledge by research because I am in a situation where many tasks must be completed or else I put myself as well as my girlfriend at a terrible disposition. We are in the process of moving out of an apartment and have to find where exactly we want to go. We have been house hunting and have yet to find a house in our financial range that is calling our name. We are in it for the long term, so we refuse to find a house we are "just going to settle in for 5 years", because as we have witnessed, it is never the case. I had just got done reading a book. Before reading, I had practiced some JavaScript. Before that, I had gotten up and ate breakfast, noticing the apartment needs a little cleaning. All these tasks are piling up and I am feeling like a preacher who bears no practice to his words.

I had just gotten done telling my readers to "Scrub a Clean Toilet, but I feel like I am starting to procrastinate again. It all boils down to motivation. As I sit here, I am reminded of a lesson I learned while exploring a set of books and talks within the Buddhism religion. I guess you can call it a meditation, but it doesn't require much time unless you want it to.

Sit and relax. If it helps to close your eyes, which it will for 99% of you, do it. Just think of a place you have visited in your lifetime that had brought about in you a great deal of good feelings. For me, of course, it is the ocean. Imagine every aspect of the place. Recall the sensations you feel through all of your 5 senses. Run through all of your senses individually. I start with sight because that is the sense that gives me most of my peace. then I move onto sound, then touch etc. If you have only dreamed of a place that brings you such feelings, then use that place instead.

After calming down, I begin to slowly bring to mind the tasks that cause this unrest. As the tasks begin to weigh down on my good feelings with it's own feeling, I concentrate on that new terrible feeling. I feel as if I am taking that feeling and holding it within my chest, where it currently resides. Then I perform the most crucial task. I acknowledge the feeling and how strong it is. I acknowledge the feelings of the rest of the tasks, for they all pretty much feel the same. I acknowledge that these tasks are not going to complete themselves. I know I can now clear my head and sort these tasks based on priority.

I sometimes find that there are two or more tasks that will conflict being that I cannot complete them both. I see it as a game of Chess, for those of you who love to play. There opponent's bishop has moved into a position where it will either take out my rook or my knight and I can only save one. Typically I save my rook, but it all is determined by the situation. Evaluate which task will be most beneficial upon completion and just suffer the consequences of the other task not being completed on time, if at all. It happens. It is what makes life interesting.

I tend to get worked up a lot and I do forget to find my ocean when I need to. Eventually I remember to stop and just take a breath. It takes a lot of stressing before I just sit down and reevaluate. I constantly forget that the best part of this life is to just "exist".

No comments:

Post a Comment