Monday, January 3, 2011

The Newest Beginning


It's a new year. Though I've rarely ever bothered with New Years Resolutions, I find that this year is going to be a defining year. I have finally found a niche that I love. I feel as if this is the road I want to be on, my way to treasure, my "personal legend", for those who are Alchemist fans ;)

Where I was coming from in the past was not that promising. Most of my time I dedicated to hanging around the house, waiting for my degree in Computer Science. My excuse was that I could not get an engineering job on this island without a Bachelors, which is very much true. Every company looking for developers is either across Long Island Sound in Connecticut or in Queens, looking for someone with 3+ experience in the field with a BS in Computer Science or a related field. Mind you, it has taken 6 years of schooling to get an Associates due to the fact for the first couple years, I did not have a set major. I was dabbling in Business, Liberal Arts, Criminal Justice, and Computer Science. I did not see a future I would like to have in Computer Science until I took the first couple programming courses, mainly Visual Basic and Java. I fell in love with programming since. I took a web design class which taught me very basic HTML. I was used to html though, since in the past I did a few hack jobs on my own personal web sites that went nowhere with no goal, just like my life a few months ago. To say I didn't have goals is a stretch, since I did want to complete my BS degree badly to finally "breakout" into the "real world" running. It would be nothing but playing video games until then...until the strangest thing happened.

I don't know where the interest came about, but I had bought a cool assortment of "For Dummies" e-books. I was watching something or reading something online when "meditation" was mentioned. It just so happened in the small stack of ebooks, I had Meditation for Dummies. I began reading it, and into the first chapter, it mentioned the fact that Buddhists use meditation as a common practice. This I already knew, but the book had brought it to light. Where the urge came from, I still don't know, but I began researching the Buddhist beliefs, downloaded some free talks and videos and listened to the speakers. I felt an overwhelming since of realization and I attribute that moment of realization to the path I am taking today.

I read "The Alchemist" by Paul Coelho again. I read it once before and I fell in love with it years ago. This time, I connected a lot more with the book, since I knew what to expect from the story and was able to pick up things I missed in the past. the book, even though a fictional story, really gets you to think about your life and how you are living it right now. I evaluated my life and knew that I could be doing something so much more. I knew that there was something out there for me, something I wanted and had to do, but I had no idea what it was. to a certain extent, I still do not know, but in order to reach the top of that staircase, you have to take the first step, even if you do not see the entire staircase". though I butchered that quote, it still portrays the message I wanted to show you.

I am very curious about the programming world. I had a professor whom I've been blessed to have many classes with tell us the best methods for success in the tech world. Technology is always changing. Keep your eye out for all the new changes, be interested in other people's work and stay on top of it. That was only one of the many nuggets he fed us. That idea drove me to go out looking for e-zines on programming, hacking, networking, and coding. I wanted to stay on top of it all. I came across a website called Ycombinator. It came up in a google search when I typed in Hacker News. This website was the next half mile on my way to treasure. The first time I glanced at this website, there was an article that stuck out labeled How to Become a Millionaire in 3 Years. I laughed when I read it because I knew it was impossible. The article, though, is really on the ball and motivating. You really could become a millionaire in 3 years, but you need to look at yourself.

The article stated as one of its points, "Leverage skills you know". I did know a little bit of programming, but an idea popped into my head after a good friend suggested it years ago. Start a business creating web sites for businesses. This is what I wanted to do. The dream of running a successful business has always been in the recesses of my mind but never at the forefront. I believe the first hint I realized was the fact that Business was the first curriculum I juggled in college until Business 101 bored my naive self right out of the program.

Though it would be impossible becoming a millionaire just by creating web sites alone, it was a start to get off my ass and find my way to where I want to be. I know there are a huge amount of paths branching off the one I'm on right now which I will find in the future. I have an idea how to get to them. You have to start somewhere, and start small.

So there you have it. That's the past. That's how I got here. Right now I have roughly 3 web sites in queue. I didn't even get a chance to create my own web site, which is perfect because I will have a small portfolio to show right off the bat. I am in the process of continuing my education in Adobe Flash and Advanced Javascript. There is a web site I recommend to ANYONE looking to further their education in any computer related software and resource. Check out VTC. Its worth just looking at it.

I have many goals for 2011. Though I do not get discouraged should I not achieve them all, the main ones I am focusing on are as previously stated: Advanced Javascript and Flash. I want to learn what PHP is all about, though I may not thoroughly engulf myself in it. Create 10 web sites for individual clients, implement more natural food sources in my diet rather than processed and cut down on sugar. My last goal would be to refresh my knowledge of the German language. I took 3 years of it which I eventually lost. It should come back to me once I invest in Rosetta Stone to continue my long journey to fluency.

The 2011 year looks bright. I wish the best for all of you looking to continue on your way to treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment